New media has been introduced to me by texts and classmates as innovative programs and tools that can be used as creative outlets (in a broad sense; you will note by my writing that I don't always come up with the right word). For example, a podcast is a way to disseminate information in an audible or visual form. It is a tool that a creative person can use to spread their word. But how does someone learn from this form of word? or how does one learn by using this form of new media?
As we dabbled in Scratch this past week, we practiced its functions and intentions, but more than likely did not perfect any notion of its true capabilities. We played with the new media. We tried to discover how it could work in our favor. I think this is one true root to how we learn.
Others have spoken on this thread of motivation, desire, wanting to learn. To continue in this direction, I also think one must want to use new media to reach an objective. Whether that desire is in the process of playing with new media or from the expected outcome. For example, I could simply learn how to create a website and take joy in organizing and posting all my photos for family to view, but I have no desire or the time to learn the technicalities of it all (be them so simple, like this blog, I am sure). Therefore, I agree with Bers, Dewey, and many other theorists that interest is a major component of learning whether it be in new or old media (I suppose I am going to be like Julie and learn to use more media, and for myself to understand it better).
I see new media as opening up access to others ideas. Creating a larger community than anyone could imagine. There is a wider audience in a virtual world than there is in a physical one. I can talk to Japan or India instantaneously and through multiple forms through new media. I can express my opinion and others with similar interests can possibly relate. And it all goes back to interest. I have to take interest in the new media form and take interest in the community that discusses a certain topic. I have to want to learn more in order to make any progress.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Wonder Woman! Yes, time and interest are such key factors -- hopefully, the class will give you an excuse to set aside the time to develop your interests. The ideas you have here would be perfect to explore for the purposes of the course and provide nice contrasts to Scratch. I also think that blogging is a great way to keep in ongoing contact with teachers, students, and parents. I know a lot of schools have started to use blogs as a way to communicate with parents. This might be an interesting area of exploration in the class as well -- new media for administrators?
ReplyDeleteIn class this week, we'll talk about just what you suggest here -- using Scratch toward some ends, perhaps for creating a literacy tool for emergent readers, perhaps as a way to create a simulation for young children to play, perhaps as a tool for youth to develop their own video games... I'm excited to see what the class comes up with!
Like Jenna's topic this week that I added to, I think new media tools can be productive if they are taught to be used effectively and not tinkered in some cases. There needs to be enough education for everyone to be able to see the platform as a tool and to teach them how to use it effectively. Administrators? They are the first that need to understand how new media could work to reach a new audience or a familiar one. It would just mean more training and time to learn something new when they possibly have not perfected an old medium. Something may spark an infatuation that works. It is just hard to get everyone on the same page.
ReplyDelete