This past week I worked with Prezi and Powerpoint to prepare a presentation for one of my classes. I thought this would be a great opportunity to use new and newer media and compare their effectiveness as learning tools and ways to share thoughts. I mean, presentations are a large part of academia, conferences, lectures, etc. and are all a part of disseminating ideas or knowledge, so to find a format that fits your intentions is important. Here is what I found.
So from my last blog, you discovered that I have done some research on Johann Friedrich Herbart, an educational theorist that no one really remembers. So when it was determined that I would need to share my knowledge of this great theorist I tried to find the best way to organize my thoughts and present them in an engaging fashion. I previously had experience with Powerpoint and was new to Prezi, so I wanted to see how the two differed, and which one best fit my style--or pushed me to a better style of organizing and presenting.
I started working with Prezi over the weekend and after an hour and a half stint of trying to learn the new mechanisms and editing tools, I got fed up at not understanding how I could not do things simply or in a straightforward fashion. I was so sold on all the wonderful bells and whistles Prezi presented in its 4 minute overview that I guess I missed how to make the magic happen. In my tinkering,I remained frustrated and sadly gave up to resort back to something familiar like Powerpoint.
I completed the project in Powerpoint with ease, but thought to myself that this will just be another dull presentation. So after studio time on Monday morning, I went back to Prezi and began "Johann F. Herbart: A Return to the Threshold" for the second time. In Prezi, with a new outlook, I found that I could be more of designer (like our readings of making meaning in the area of Literacy stated). I could link thoughts together in a random manner, and design emphases with size, shape, and accents. I was able to create a narrative with paths that my thoughts followed, not a pre-determined linear slide show. I could place my ideas, images, other media within the project at any random place--there was no format and this left me to be, as I said before, the designer rather than a conformer to the template.
The learning I found from this competition of products, is that both make you think a certain way whether it be linearly with Powerpoint or more freely with Prezi. I found that I was still using my trained thought patterns for Powerpoint and placing things linerly in Prezi. I had to redirect my brain to think differently to create a flow of text. I thought about the future affordances of each type of presentation. If I were to use Powerpoint to align ideas for lectures, then I could easily retreive information on a topic by a simple search (an affordance of Microsoft?), as for Prezi I don't think I could do a keyterm search and find some idea easily. Since the flow of info can fluctuate, it may be more difficult to refer back to an idea. Prezi also, from what I found, can't be printed out or become a static piece of knowledge. Not that this is the intention of Prezi, as it is sold as a presentation tool. But it is so interactive that it may not be possible to see the whole picture even at it's widest lense. To get the whole story you would need to have the presenter go through the paths and tell you what the meaning is behind all the texts.
This is what I found to be of most interest, the presentation itself. I did present with Prezi yesterday, and I think I suffered at it tremendously. I wanted the Notes tool that Powerpoint includes. I didn't want to have notecards in my hand. From the reaction of my peers, the presentation was interesting and different, but what does that mean? Other presentations in the class were centered around Powerpoint and I think they presented their material coherently, it may not have been in an interesting fashion, but they got their point across.
I suppose the best affordance Prezi gives is that it is like a storytelling device that allows people to go through the paths of greater conceptuatlization rather than regurgitation that Powerpoint may lend. For me, I think I still need to understand all the tools that this product lends, so that I can make greater meaning out of my ideas and be able to share those with others. It is a great tool to let me really explore how I will design my ideas and hopefully it won't be similar to the way Powerpoint has formatted my brain.
So the larger question is, and an age old one: How does new media or old media design our brains to think? Do schools promote certain media to mold uniform thinkers?
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have a post on my blog that deals with very much the same topic, except that instead of pitting PowerPoint and Prezi in direct contention, I was contemplating the affordances and constraints of adapting one of my comedy routines (which is a parody of teaching Hebrew to adult gentiles) from old-fashioned marker-and-sketchpad to Prezi.
ReplyDeleteI personally don't think PowerPoint is inherently disengaging, since I have seen two professors use PowerPoint exceptionally well, but with these two profs, they were just good, lively, charismatic, and compelling performers that used PowerPoint to augment their own presentational skills rather than using PowerPoint as the main event and their own talking to augment the slideshow. However, I definitely feel many of the same things you expressed.
Although my next studio project keeps is meant to explore how Prezi can enhance my performance ability, I desire a career in academia, not entertainment so I think it's worthwhile to invest time in learnign Prezi.
At this point, I still hardly understand Prezi, and if I need to prepare something quickly, I would of course go with what I am familiar with and do my best to use PowerPoint the same way that my "PowerPoint heroes" do, but since I'm still insulated in the protective cocoon of studenthood (still making my metamorphosis into scholarship), I have the luxury of putting in some time to learn the features and rules of Prezi.
In response to your broad questions at the end:
New media seems to present a lot more visual and spatial representations than old media, so I believe that it can definitely faciliate the ways in which we create abstractions. Mike was using a software to create his flow charts, and you could easily shift it from flow chart to outline, so it made things easier to understand the commonalities between divergent/convergent thinking and linear thinking. I am personally not biased towards old or new media; I believe they both have a place - I am generally in favor of effective use of old and new media that promotes flexible and critical thinking.
As for schools promoting media that inclines students towards uniform thinking, I do not believe it is the media itself that is responsible for that, but I believe it is the instructors. I do agree that PowerPoint promotes linear thinking, but it has its place if there are certain lessons that must be sequenced a particular way. I don't think that schools necessarily promote certain medias to mold uniform thinking, but I think it is an issue of cost-benefit analysis. I mentioned that if I needed to get a presentation done quickly, I would use PowerPoint because it's what I know, it's what accomplishes the goal, and the cost is relatively low, whereas the time spent learning Prezi might not be a good ratio considering that the end result might not be particularly good (especially if it is my first Prezi). I don't think it's the goal of schools to promote uniform thinking, but I just think it is an unfortunate consequence of the way the system is set up.
So I've never used Prezi, and I've often used Power Point, so, really, all of this could be totally off base. But in my mind, power point is in NO WAY inherently mind-numbing business. I use it all the time in my classes to
ReplyDeleteA. Link to outside web sources (AKA Youtube videos)
B. Give them directions for an interactive, group fun thing
C. Prompt informal converations with a classmate sitting beside them.
D. Present images and pictures for them to analyze and make sense of.
E. Put up a poem for students to wrestle with
F. Put up student work or writing or links to blogs.
And I could go on and on. Basically, I use it as an organization device. (As opposed to content-giving device).
In my mind, there is nothing more inherently interactive about Prezi than there is about Power Point. I skip to different slides all the time in Power Point. We pause and stay on one slide for the entire class sometimes. We go to links online, and I don't ever feel tied to my created presentation, all of the slides, etc . . .
In my simple brain,
good teaching is good teaching.
Tools can perhaps nudge you to a bit one direction or the other.
But, mostly,
good teaching is good teaching.
Thus ends my defense of old technology everywhere.
Wow, this is a great analysis of both tools -- I really like how you chart your relationship to the tool. I'm impressed by how much you were able to express with the tools given that this was your first time presenting with Prezi -- I think that speaks a great deal about the ease of the interface at least for those with some PPT background.
ReplyDeleteJulie, I like your list here. I think that you're right in arguing that it's not the tool itself but how we use the tools that determine the outcomes. That being said, wonderwoman's case is still compelling since she compares how she typically uses PPT and how Prezi made her engage differently with similar material...